Sunday 14 February 2016

Song of the Week - All Groups: Unfinished Sympathy by Massive Attack

Unfinished Sympathy (1991)
Performed by Massive Attack featuring Shara Nelson.
Written by Robert Del Naja, Andrew Vowles, Grantley Marshall, Shara Nelson, Jonathan Sharp

From Massive Attack's debut album, Blue Lines, Unfinished Sympathy ushered in the Trip Hop movement of the 1990's and has come to be considered a classic in the canon of British dance music.

“I hate putting a title to anything without a theme, but with "Unfinished Sympathy”, we’d started with a jam… and added an orchestral score later. The title came up as a joke at first, but it fitted the song and the arrangements so perfectly, we just had to use it.“ - Robert Del Naja


[Verse 1:]
I know that I've been mad in love before
And how it could be with you
Really hurt me baby, really cut me baby
How can you have a day without a night
You're the book that I have opened
And now I've got to know much more

[Verse 2:]
The curiousness of your potential kiss
Has got my mind and body aching
Really hurt me baby, really cut me baby
How can you have a day without a night
You're the book that I have opened
And now I've got to know much more

[Bridge:]
Like a soul without a mind
In a body without a heart
I'm missing every part

For more background on the song go to http://genius.com/Massive-attack-unfinished-sympathy-lyrics

No comments: